CHNW and Covid-19


Is there availability at The Amy?

Yes! Our availability is organized by unit type. To see our current availability, please visit our website at

What length of leases do you offer?

We offer multiple lease length terms based upon availability and floor plan. Pricing may vary depending on lease length.

What types of floor plans do you offer?

The Amy has 5 different types of studios, and 2 types of one-bedrooms. You can view the unit floor plans on our website:

What appliances are included in the apartments?

All studios feature a kitchenette that comes equipped with a three-quarter sized refrigerator, microwave, and sink. One-bedrooms offer fully equipped kitchens with a full sized refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven, sink, and dishwasher.

The Amy also has three community kitchens, accessible to residents 24/7. Each community kitchen is equipped with a full sized refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven, and large sink. Additionally, community kitchens have a lounge and tv area.

How can I schedule a tour?

Our leasing staff is currently offering both virtual and in-person tours by appointment only. Walk-ins will not be accepted at this time. Certain types of apartments may not currently be vacant and therefore unavailable for showings. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our leasing office by email or phone.


What does it cost to apply?

Application screening fees are currently $25.

How much is the deposit?

If your application is approved, you will need to pay a $150 holding deposit within 72 hours to secure the apartment. An additional $350 security deposit must also be paid by move in.

When is rent due, and how can I pay for it?

Rent is due on the 1st of every month and CHNW offers an 8-day grace period. Rental payments received after the 8th of the month will incur a $50.00 late fee. Payments can be made online in the tenant portal by eCheck, credit or debit card.  Payments via a check or money order made out to CHNW may be brought to the leasing office. Partial payments are not accepted.

What happens if I do not pay my rent on time?

A $50 late charge is added and a 10-Day Notice for Nonpayment is sent on the 9th of each month to residents who have not paid rent. If you do not pay rent on time and receive a 10-Day Notice, you are required to pay or will be asked to leave the community through the eviction process.

What if I can’t pay rent until after the due date?

CHNW understands that financial setbacks often occur unexpectedly.  For residents who cannot pay rent until after the 8th (due to financial aid schedules, delays in paychecks, etc), CHNW offers two opportunities per calendar year for residents to move their due date for rent until the end of the month. To do this, residents must come to the leasing office and complete a Petition for Late Payment Agreement prior to end of the day on the 8th. Residents who are unable to come in person can digitally complete a form and email it to theamy@chnworg.

Can my roommates and I pay rent in separate checks or separate online payments?

No; since CHNW has joint responsibility leases, rent must be submitted in one check or one complete payment. Residents who do need to submit two separate payments can submit two money orders or cashiers checks (cash-equivalents) in the leasing office.

Can I pay my rent ahead of time?

CHNW will accept up to three months of rent payments in advance.


How do I apply?

Currently, our applications are generalized by unit type. To see our current availability, please visit our website at If you see an apartment you are interested in applying for, click the green “Apply Now” button on the apartment listing.

Follow the instructions to complete the online application. Be sure to upload proof of enrollment documentation and a copy of your government-issued photo ID when it is requested in the online application. See below for information about providing proof of enrollment.

Once the application is completed and you get approved through screening, the Leasing Office will be in contact to show you which units are currently available in each unit type.

What is CHNW’s rental criteria?

CHNW requires all applicants fit our student status requirements; in addition, CHNW completes a screening that includes criminal background, credit history and rental history. Since CHNW serves students who often may not have established credit or rental history, lacking either does not impact the outcome of the screening.

For more information on our criteria, please see our CHNW Criteria for Residency.

The application says I need to show proof of enrollment. How do I do this?

If you go to a school verifiable through the National Student Clearinghouse (including Portland State University, PCC, and PNCA, among others) you can download your enrollment letter through your school’s student portal. Otherwise students can obtain their enrollment letter through the Registrar’s Office.

Some students are unable to be verified through the National Student Clearinghouse for various reasons, including anyone who does not have a social security number. Any student who cannot be verified through the Clearinghouse will be required to provide alternative documentation of enrollment, which can be one of the following:

  • a letter from the registration office at your school stating you are enrolled
  • an I-20 document (for international students)
  • a certificate of enrollment printed from your PCC or PSU banweb account. For information on how to do this, please see the leasing office or your school.

Information about finding this enrollment certificate for each school can be found here:

Portland State University: Link to PSU website

Portland Community College: Link to PCC website

If I am not currently enrolled but will be enrolling next term, what kind of documentation do I need to provide?

Students enrolling for the first time in the upcoming term (for example, residents who apply to move into CHNW housing over the summer with plans to start classes in Fall term) can submit an admission letter stating they are admitted and set to begin classes.

Can I apply even if I do not see an apartment available?

We can only accept applications for apartments currently posted as available on the CHNW website. You can schedule a tour or get more information at anytime from our leasing team. To schedule a tour please contact or call 503-345-4110.

Do I need a co-signer?

CHNW does not require co-signers. By not requiring co-signers, CHNW aims to provide an accessible rental experience to those who may be first-time renters, as well as an opportunity to build positive rental history in their own name.

How long does the application process take?

Completed applications are screened by Bemrose Consulting Inc, an independent screening company, and typically take 2 – 5 business days to process. Once a screening report is completed, applicants are contacted by email with the screening results and next steps.

Do I have to be a student to live with CHNW?

As a student housing community, CHNW requires all residents be enrolled at least half-time as students in a higher education institution and/or the partner or dependent of an eligible student.

Can my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse live with me if they are not a student?

Absolutely! If you are eligible as a student, your non-student partner is also eligible to live with you. Any dependent over the age of 18 will be required to submit an application.

CHNW defines a partner as an individual who identifies as being in a committed relationship with the eligible applicant.

Who qualifies as a dependent?

CHNW defines a dependent as an individual under the age of 18 who is reliant on the eligible applicant for support, or an individual of any age with a disability that necessitates reliance on the eligible resident for support.

Can you help me find a roommate?

Unfortunately, CHNW does not provide roommate matching services. If you are looking to find a roommate, we encourage contacting your school and/or using Craigslist, Facebook, or other online boards as resources for finding a roommate.

Is there a maximum number of residents allowed per apartment?

Landlord/Tenant Law states the maximum number of people that can reside in a unit is two people per the number of bedrooms, plus one. Meaning two residents are allowed in a studio or three in a one-bedroom.

Can I have a pet?

Up to 2 pets are allowed with a $200.00 extra pet deposit and signed pet agreement. Caged animals (such as reptiles and rodents) are allowed upon approval from the Leasing Office. CHNW follows Fair Housing Laws in reference to service and therapy animals.  Please contact the Leasing Office regarding service and therapy animals.

Are the apartments furnished?

The Amy is the only CHNW property in Portland that has furnished units. All studios in The Amy have a murphy bed with a full-sized mattress, a desk, and a chair. One-bedrooms are not furnished, and ADA studios will have ADA compliant furniture.


What utilities are included in the rent?

The Amy’s rent prices are All-Inclusive. This means that the prices you see cover water, sewer, garbage, electricity, heating, and high-speed Wi-Fi.

How do set I up my utilities?

No need to set up utilities at The Amy! Your monthly rent covers all of it.

Is renters insurance required?

Proof of renters insurance is required for CHNW residents. Residents can either sign up for renter’s insurance and provide proof of coverage or choose to be enrolled in our Liability to Landlord Insurance Program. Only one policy is needed for the entire unit.

For more questions on Renters Insurance, please ask our Leasing Team at

Building Info

Where can I park my car?

There are 30 parking spaces in The Amy parking garage, located under the building. Parking spots will be reserved through the Leasing Office for a monthly fee. The cost for parking your car at the Amy is $125.00 per month. Parking is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.

A permit for street parking can also be purchased through the City of Portland for $75/year to park in “Zone B.” To get this permit you do need to fill out this form:

Street parking is extremely limited. Purchase of a Zone B parking permit does not guarantee you will find parking. We highly encourage residents to thoroughly research the Zone B parking zone before purchasing a permit. Thankfully, the Amy is close to the MAX, bus lines, OHSU and PCC shuttle, and has ample bike storage.

A limited number of reserved motorcycle parking spaces are also available for rent.  Contact the Leasing Office for more information.

Where can I park my bike?

The Amy provides a bike rack in each unit.  A additional community bike storage room is located in the parking garage. The community bike room requires a resident fob for entry. There is no monthly charge for parking your bike in the garage.

How do I dispose of trash and recycling?

Each floor has a centrally located garbage and recycling room. Each room will have a recycling bin for paper, a glass bin and a trash chute. Please take care to dispose of things appropriately depending on material. Mixed recycling blue bins are clearly marked and dedicated for (clean) paper, cardboard, plastics and metals. See full list here: Glass can be disposed of in clearly marked glass-only recycling bins. Please avoid disposing of glass down the trash chute if possible. Items can shatter and send sharp pieces flying, potentially injuring another resident or a staff member.

Learn more about trash and recycling services and protocols from the City of Portland and Waste Management.

Is there a kitchen in the units?

All studios feature a kitchenette that come equipped with a mini-refrigerator, microwave, and sink. One-bedrooms offer full-sized kitchens. The Amy has three community kitchens as well, accessible to residents 24/7. Each community kitchen has an oven, stove top, microwave/convection oven and full refrigerator. Additionally, community kitchens have a lounge and tv area.

Do units have bathtubs?

Each studio has its own private bathroom, equipped with a shower, toilet and sink. One-bedroom units include a bathtub.

Requesting Maintenance

Maintenance concerns will be addressed in the order they are received, with urgent needs taking priority. Depending on workload, requests will generally be completed within 1 to 3 business days. If residents would like to make a maintenance request, contact the Leasing Office or submit a request through your online tenant portal. CHNW staff do not address needs related to personal belongings, such as hanging a mirror or assembling a shelf.

Where can I do laundry on site?

Laundry facilities are located on the 2nd-5th floors and are fob accessed. Laundry can be paid for by a credit or debit card. CHNW staff recommends remaining in the vicinity of the laundry room while washing your clothing.

Other Leasing Topics

Why am I receiving a violation or noncompliance notice? How does it impact me?

Late payments and violations including smoking in nonsmoking areas, illegal pets, noise disturbances, and unauthorized roommates is documented on your account in your rental history with CHNW. As many property management companies request rental references, receiving violations and/or noncompliance notices can impact your ability to rent elsewhere.

How do I add a new roommate to my lease?

To begin the roommate addition process, please reach out to the leasing team via phone or email with the person’s name and email address. They will need to submit an application and be approved through the screening process. Please note there is one roommate addition allowed per unit per lease term and there is an associated $50 charge.

I’m moving out and I want to have someone else take over my lease. What do I do?

The Amy does not allow lease transfers or takeovers. Residents are not permitted to find a student to take over their lease. We encourage anyone interested in living here to apply through our website and go through the screening process.

My lease is ending soon. What are my options?

All residents receive a notice 3-months prior to the lease end date informing residents of their lease end and listing the new rental rate for renewals. As a lease is ending, residents are can sign a new lease or move out.

If you would like to renew your lease, contact the Leasing Office for more information and renew your lease at least 30 days before your lease expires. If you would like to move out at the end of your lease, be sure to contact the leasing office at least 30 days in advance to complete a Notice to Vacate form.

What if I need to move before the end of my lease?

CHNW charges a lease break fee equal to 1.5x the amount of rent or charges through the end of the lease, whichever option is less. A 30-day notice is not required if the lease is being broken. Please contact the CHNW Leasing Office as soon as possible if you know you need to move out before your lease ends.

Am I still eligible to live with CHNW if I take a term off from school?

Yes; CHNW’s student policy allows residents to take one term off per school year. Otherwise, residents are expected to be enrolled at least half time at least three terms during the school year.

I’m graduating but I still have a few months left on my lease! What are my options?

CHNW’s student policy allows residents to continue living with CHNW up to three months (one term) after they graduate as an opportunity to transition into other housing.

If a resident graduates and wants to move before the end of their lease, they can provide documentation that they have graduated to the Leasing Office and the lease break fee will be waived.

My lease is ending, but I only have a few months left until I graduate and plan to move out. Can I stay until I graduate?

Yes; CHNW is flexible to waive lease break fees and make other arrangements for current residents who are graduating in less than six months when their lease ends. Please contact the Leasing Office for more information.

What if I need help when the office is closed?

If a current resident needs immediate assistance when the Leasing Office and Front Desk are both closed, please call our After-Hours number (503-929-7941).

Can I have a friend stay in my apartment with me as a guest?

Residents must accompany their guests at all times while on CHNW property, and are 100% responsible for the behavior of their guests when they are onsite. Under CHNW’s rental agreement, guests are allowed to stay for up to 10 days consecutively or 20 days scattered throughout the year.

Is someone allowed to live with me without being on the lease?

No. All people staying in the community longer than 10 days as a guest must be approved through the screening process and sign onto the rental agreement. Failure to do so results in a lease violation that appears on the resident’s rental history.

I have roommates and I know all CHNW leases are “joint responsibility”. How does this impact us?

CHNW’s joint-responsibility leases mean each person on the lease is equally responsible for rent payments, damages, and other fees. Payments must be submitted together totaling the full amount. If a roommate moves out unexpectedly, anyone left in the apartment is still responsible for making up the difference in rent. If one roommate causes damage to the apartment, the charges for the damage are applied to the shared account and all roommates are ultimately responsible for cost.

If a roommate wants to move out, all members of the lease will need to sign an agreement stating that they are no longer responsible. If there are ever changes in roommates, residents must inform the leasing office to ensure CHNW’s records match who is living in the apartment. Allowing someone to live in an apartment without being on the lease is a violation of the terms of the lease. CHNW recommends choosing roommates wisely and setting up a roommate agreement at move-in establishing expectations.


I want to move out at the end of my lease. Is a 30-day notice required?

Yes, a 30-day written notice to the Leasing Office is required of all residents if they plan to move at the end of their lease. Residents who do not submit a Notice to Vacate form 30 days in advance will be charged for the 30-day period after the notice is submitted. Residents can complete a Notice to Vacate form in the Leasing Office or electronically by request.

What if I need to move before the end of my lease?

CHNW charges a lease break fee equal to 1.5x the amount of rent or charging through the end of the lease, whichever option is less. A 30-day notice is not required if the lease is being broken. Please contact the CHNW Leasing Office as soon as possible if you know you need to move out before your lease ends.

What will I be charged at move out?

All damages and cleaning costs outside of normal wear and tear will be subtracted from the deposit based on the condition of the apartment after vacating. Contact the Leasing Office for information about move out charges and expectations of the condition of the apartment.

How soon will I get my security deposit back?

Deposits are refunded 31 days after you move out in the form of a check and mailed to the forwarding address provided by the resident.

I have roommates. Who gets sent the deposit check?

Unless otherwise indicated, the deposit refund check will be issued to all the names on the rental agreement, which requires everyone on the lease to go to the bank together to cash it. If you are moving out and prefer the check be made out to only one resident on the lease or a third party, please inform the leasing office in writing or fill out the waiver on the back of the Notice to Vacate form.

Where can I donate items I no longer want?

CHNW encourages residents to donate furniture and other items they do not need whenever possible. Some donation services will even pick up from your apartment. Some local organizations that coordinate donations can be found here:

Why is my rental history with CHNW important?

Payment history, violations issued, and damages noted at move-out are all documented in a resident’s rental history with CHNW. When a resident moves on, prospective future landlords and property managers will reach out to CHNW to obtain information about their tenancy. A negative rental reference can impact resident’s abilities to rent elsewhere. In addition, a formal eviction or FED filing appears on credit reports and can severely impact one’s ability to rent or obtain a loan for many years.

Rules / Policies

Quiet hours:

Building quiet hours extend from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am Sunday through Thursday and from 11:00 pm to 8:00 am Friday and Saturday. During these times, residents should keep common space noise to a minimum and make sure in-unit noise is not disruptive to adjacent apartments.

Courtesy hours:

Generally speaking, residents are expected to keep their noise level reasonable at all times. A resident’s right to make noise should not supersede other residents’ right to sleep, study, or use building common spaces. Excessive or unnecessary noise that impacts others in the community, even outside of quiet hours, can result in a formal noise disturbance violation notice for violating the terms of the lease.

Common space use:

Residents are able to utilize all building common spaces without time restriction but should keep quiet and courtesy hours in mind when utilizing spaces. Common spaces are not reservable and should be left accessible to all residents at all times. Residents should clean up after themselves and leave common spaces in good condition for the next resident.

Can I smoke in my apartment?

No smoking of any kind (including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, hookah, pipes, eCigarette, and marijuana) is allowed indoors or within 10 feet of the building. If you wish to smoke, please do so outside at least 10 feet away from the building. Smoking in the courtyard is also prohibited.

Student Services

Resident Council

CHNW was founded “by students, for students.” As such, it is critical to have the voices of current tenants guiding the directions we take and decisions CHNW makes. All CHNW programs have Resident Councils comprised of students representing the diversity of the communities they represent. Resident Councils meet monthly to discuss student needs and work with staff to continuously improve their communities.

Resident Council members take a leadership role in building community, improving living conditions, and organizing events at The Amy. Members represent resident concerns and implement resident ideas, to create housing that is by students, for students.

Resident Council members generally serve a one year term and meet monthly. While members are able to miss up to 2 meetings, participation is vital to its’ mission. Members may meet more than once a month for special event planning, meetings with CHNW staff, or other leadership opportunities.

Up to 12 members enjoy a $50-75 rent credit for their participation, plus a budget to plan fun events. Additionally, joining Resident Council helps residents sharpen their leadership skills and boost their resume.


The Front Desk and Leasing Office will receive all resident packages. You will receive an email notification when a package arrives for you. Packages can only be picked up during times the Leasing Office or the Front Desk is open. Make sure to have your ID handy when you arrive to pick up the package.

On-Call Service/After Hours Line

During the hours the Leasing Office and Front Desk are closed, an after-hours phone number is staffed by an on-call resident ambassador. Residents can place a call to our after-hours number for urgent needs such as lockouts, noise and smoking complaints, maintenance issues, and other related concerns.

CHNW Employment

Employment Opportunities

College Housing Northwest is proud to be committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce that drives innovation and opens access to various perspectives, ideas and backgrounds. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, College Housing Northwest provides equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic background, or any characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws.

We offer full time and part time employment opportunities at CHNW. Learn more about our current job openings here:

Scroll To Top