CHNW and Covid-19


Is there a waitlist for apartments?

University District does not offer a waitlist. All applications are taken one at a time on a first come, first served basis for current openings only. Current openings can be found here:


What if I’m not interested in any of the openings listed on the website?

Openings are typically posted on the website 30 – 45 days in advance of an apartment’s move in date. If you are flexible with your move in date or are planning to move further into the future, please check back on the website periodically and submit an application once you see an opening of interest to you.


What length of leases do you offer?

Residents can choose to sign a 9 or 12-month lease. The rent rate for each initial lease length is the same. Once leases end, residents must sign a new lease length or their contract will automatically become a month-to-month agreement after providing proof of Student Status.


What types of floor plans do you offer?

University District is currently made up of 2 buildings that vary in size. If you would like specific square footage of an apartment you would like to apply for, please ask the Leasing Consultant at


What appliances are included in the apartments?

All apartments include full-size refrigerators, stoves/ovens, and full bathrooms with showers and claw food tubs (The Palladian apartments do not have bathtubs).


How can I schedule a tour?

Due to the pandemic, our leasing staff is currently offering virtual tours only. Certain types of apartments may not currently be vacant and therefore unavailable for showings. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our leasing office by email or phone.


What does it cost to apply?

Application screening fees are currently $25. If you do not provide the enrollment letter, depending on what school you attend, an additional charge of $2.50 will be added, so we can verify your enrollment through National Clearing House.

See full pricing for all University District apartments here: University District Price Sheet or here.


How much is the deposit?

If you are approved you will need to pay a $100 holding deposit within 72 hours to secure the apartment. An additional $500 security deposit must also be paid by move in. You can pay this either by check, money order, credit/debit card, or through your online tenant portal. The tenant portal must be requested by the prospective resident, in order for a Leasing Consultant to e-mail the activation.


When is rent due, and how can I pay for it?

Rent is due on the 1st of the month and must be paid by end of day on the 8th. Partial payments are not accepted. Payments can be made online by eCheck or with a check or money order made out to CHNW and brought to the leasing office or placed in the drop box. Credit card payments in the office result in an extra $20 fee, and credit card payments online result in a fee starting at $18 and going up depending on the amount paid.


What happens if I do not pay my rent on time?

A $50 late fee is charged and a 72-Hour Notice for Nonpayment is sent on the 9th of each month to residents who have not paid rent. If you do not pay rent on time and receive a 72-Hour Notice, you are required to pay within 72 hours (3 days) or will be asked to leave the community through the eviction process.


What if I can’t pay rent until after the due date?

For residents who cannot pay rent until after the 8th (due to financial aid schedules, delays in paychecks, etc), CHNW offers two opportunities per calendar year for residents to move their due date for rent until the end of the month. To do this, residents must come to the leasing office and complete a petition for late payment agreement prior to end of the day on the 8th. Residents who are unable to come in person can complete a form digitally by email request.


Can my roommates and I pay rent in separate checks or separate online payments?

No; since CHNW has joint responsibility leases, rent must be submitted in one check or one payment. Residents who do need to submit two separate payments can submit two money orders or cashiers checks (cash-equivalents).


Can I pay my rent ahead of time?

CHNW can accept rent up to three months of rent paid in advance.


How do I apply?

Prospective residents can read over application instructions and download applications here:

Applications are taken on a first come, first served basis only for apartments currently listed as coming available on the CHNW website.

What is CHNW’s rental criteria?

CHNW requires all applicants fit our student status requirements; in addition, CHNW completes a screening that includes criminal background, credit history and rental history. Since CHNW serves students who often may not have established credit or rental history, lacking either does not impact the outcome of the screening. CHNW’s rental criteria can be read in full here: Rental Criteria


The application says I need to show proof of enrollment. How do I do this?

If you go to a school verifiable through the National Student Clearinghouse (including Portland State, PCC, and PNCA, among others) and have a social security number, you will be charged an extra $2.50 with the application fee for CHNW to check and will not need to provide an extra document.

Some students are unable to be verified through the National Student Clearinghouse for various reasons, including anyone who does not have a social security number. Any student who cannot be verified through the Clearinghouse will be required to provide alternative documentation of enrollment, which can be one of the following:

  • a letter from the registration office at your school stating you are enrolled
  • an I-20 document (for international students)
  • a certificate of enrollment printed from your PCC or PSU banweb account. For information on how to do this, please see the leasing office or your school.

If I am not currently enrolled but will be enrolling next term, what kind of documentation do I need to provide?

Students enrolling for the first time the following term (for example, residents who apply to move into CHNW housing over the summer with plans to start classes in Fall term) can submit an admission letter stating they are admitted and set to begin classes.


Can I apply even if I do not see an apartment available?

No; we can only accept applications for apartments currently posted as available on the CHNW website.


Do I need a cosigner?

CHNW doesn’t require or accept cosigners. By not requiring co-signers, CHNW aims to provide an accessible rental experience to those who may be first time renters, as well as an opportunity to build positive rental history in their own name.


How long does the application process take?

Once received, applications are sent to an independent screening company and typically take 2 – 5 business days to process. Once a screening report is completed, applicants are contacted by email with the screening results and next steps.


Do I have to be a student to live with CHNW?

Yes, all residents need to be enrolled at least half time as students, with the exception of partners or dependents of students.


Can my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse live me if they are not a student?

Yes; if you are eligible as a student, your non-student partner is also eligible to live with you. Any dependent over 18 will need to submit an application and go through the same screening process.


Who qualifies as a dependent?

CHNW defines a dependent as an individual under the age of 18 who is reliant on the eligible applicant for support, or an individual of any age with a disability that necessitates reliance on the eligible resident for support.


Who qualifies as a partner?

CHNW defines a partner as an individual who identifies as being in a committed relationship with the eligible applicant.


Can you help me find a roommate?

Unfortunately, CHNW does not provide roommate matching services. If you are looking to find a roommate, we encourage contacting your college and using Craigslist or other online boards.


Is there a maximum number of residents allowed per apartment?

Two residents are allowed in a studio, three in a one bedroom, and five in a two-bedroom.


Can I have a pet?

Up to 2 cats are allowed with a $200 extra pet deposit and signed pet agreement. Dogs are not allowed in our apartments. Small animals (such as reptiles and rodents) are allowed upon approval from the Leasing Office. CHNW follows fair housing laws in reference to service and therapy animals.


Are the apartments furnished?

All apartments are unfurnished. If residents wish to rent furniture, there are several rental furniture companies in the Portland area including CORT furniture, which offers a student package. More information can be found on their website here.

The Amy will open in March of 2019 and will be the only building with CHNW that is furnished.


What utilities are included in the rent?

Water, sewer, and garbage is included in the cost of rent. Electricity, Gas and internet/cable are separate and will need to be set up by the resident prior or at move-in and paid directly to the utility companies throughout their stay.


How do set I up my utilities?

Residents will need to set up electricity service in their name through Portland General Electric (PGE) by calling their customer service number at 1-800-542-8818 or setting up their account through the PGE website. For internet, residents have the option of signing up for the onsite wi-fi through Fast Mesh (503-893-8638), or signing up for internet and/or cable with Comcast/Xfinity (503-208-7928) and CenturyLink (503-281-3362). Residents can set up Fast Mesh upon arrival. If interested in cable internet through Comcast or Century Link, contact the company for installation and setup. Do not opt for the self-install option until verifying with the company that is a valid option for your unit.

Residents are to set up Gas services in their name through NW Natural, by calling 503-226-4211 or going on line at


Is renters insurance required?

Renters insurance is not required, but CHNW recommends purchasing it through an insurance provider – monthly fees are typically very low and insurance can cover property damage costs related to things like floods, fires, theft, and other unforeseen events.

General Building Info

Where can I park my car?

There are two parking garages located in the Goose Hollow Plaza. Spaces costs $85/month. If a spot is not available immediately, you can be placed on a waiting list.


Where can I park my bike?

CHNW has a bike cage in the basement of the Tiffany, which connects to the Clay building At the Palladian, in the back yard is a bike cage as well. In the laundry room of the Cambrian is a bike rack that most residents use to lock their bike up. CHNW highly recommend that even when using these services, to lock you bike and do not store valuable items that could be easily taken off your bike.


How do I dispose of trash and recycling?

Garbage and recycling bins are located in the basement and hallway that connects the Clay and Tiffany buildings. The Cambrian recycling containers are in the basement laundry room, and garbage outside on the side of the building. Palladian has both garbage and recycling on the outside, side of the building.

Please take care to dispose of things appropriately depending on material.  Mixed recycling blue bins are clearly marked and dedicated for (clean) paper, cardboard, plastics and metals.

See full list here:

Glass can be disposed of in clearly marked glass-only recycling bins. Please avoid disposing of glass down the trash chute if possible.  Items can shatter and send sharp pieces flying, potentially injuring another resident or a staff member.

Learn more about trash and recycling services and protocols from the City of Portland and Waste Management.


What can I do if I get locked out of my apartment or lose my keys?

If you get locked out of your apartment during office hours, come to the leasing office to borrow a spare key. If you get locked out after hours, call the after-hours number to be let in – the first two after hours lock outs are free, and the third time onward there is a $30 fee per lock out.

If you lose any of your keys, residents can get a replacement set from the leasing office. Replacement fees are $5 per key (apartment, mail) and $20 per fob.


Requesting Maintenance

Maintenance concerns will be addressed in the order they are received, with urgent needs taking priority. Depending on workload, requests will generally be completed within 1 to 3 days. If residents would like to make a maintenance request, contact the Leasing Office, or submit a request through your online tenant portal. CHNW staff do not address needs related to personal belongings, such as hanging a mirror or assembling a shelf.


Where can I do laundry on site?

Laundry facilities are located in the basement of each of the University District buildings. CHNW staff recommends remaining in the vicinity of the laundry room while washing your clothing. Residents are given a laundry card upon move in, along with instructions on how to activate and to add money.

Other Leasing Topics

Why am I receiving a violation or noncompliance notice? How does it impact me?

Late payments and violations including smoking in nonsmoking areas, illegal pets, noise disturbances, and unauthorized roommates is documented on your account in your rental history with CHNW. This will impact your ability to rent in the future any time another property management company contacts us for a rental reference to ask about your history with us.


How do I add a new roommate to my lease?

To add a new person to a lease, they first need to submit an application and be approved through the screening process. Once approved, the new roommate and any current residents will come to the leasing office and complete the signatures necessary to add them to the rental agreement.


I’m moving out and I want to have someone else take over my lease. What do I do?

Residents are responsible for finding a student to take over their lease. The prospective resident will need to submit an application and be approved through the screening process. Once approved, they will come to the leasing office with the current residents and complete the signatures necessary to add the new resident and remove the outgoing residents. In cases like this, it is best to check in with the leasing office before beginning the process so you know policies around deposits and existing damages.


My lease is ending soon. What are my options?

All residents receive a notice 3 months prior to the lease end informing residents of their lease end and listing the new rental rate for renewals. As a lease is ending, residents are required to sign a new lease or move out. If you would like to renew your lease, contact the leasing office for more information and renew your lease at least 30 days before your lease expires. If you would like to move out at the end of your lease, be sure to contact the leasing office at least 30 days in advance to complete a Notice to Vacate form.


What if I need to move before the end of my lease?

CHNW charges a lease break fee equal to 1.5X the amount of rent or charging through the end of the lease, whichever option is less. A 30-day notice is not required if the lease is being broken. Please contact the CHNW Leasing Office as soon as possible if you know you need to move out before your lease ends.


Am I still eligible to live with CHNW if I take a term off from school?

Yes; CHNW’s student policy allows residents to take one term off per school year. Otherwise, residents are expected to be enrolled at least half time at least three terms during the school year.


I’m graduating but I still have a few months left on my lease! What are my options?

CHNW’s student policy allows residents to continue living with CHNW up to three months (one term) after they graduate as an opportunity to transition into other housing. If a resident graduates and wants to move before the end of their lease, they can provide documentation that they have graduated to the leasing office and the lease break fee will be waived.


My lease is ending, but I only have a few months left until I graduate and plan to move out. Can I stay until I graduate?

Yes; CHNW is flexible to waive lease break fees and make other arrangements for current residents who are graduating in less than six months when their lease ends. Please contact the leasing office for more information.


What if I need help when the office is closed?

If a current resident needs immediate assistance when the Leasing Office is closed, please call our after hours number to get in contact with the on-call resident ambassador.


Can I have a friend stay in my apartment with me as a guest?

Residents must accompany their guests at all times while on CHNW property, and are 100% responsible for the behavior of their guests when they are onsite. Under CHNW’s rental agreement, guests are allowed to stay for up to 10 days consecutively or 20 days scattered throughout the year.


Is someone allowed to live with me without being on the lease?

No. All residents living in the community longer than 10 days must be approved through the screening process and sign onto the rental agreement. Failure to do so results in a lease violation that appears on the resident’s rental history.


I have roommates and I know all CHNW leases are “joint responsibility”. How does this impact us?

CHNW’s joint-responsibility leases mean each person on the lease is equally responsible for rent payments, damages, and other fees. Payments must be submitted together totaling the full amount. If a roommate moves out unexpectedly, anyone left in the apartment is still responsible for making up the difference in rent. If one roommate causes damage to the apartment, the charges for the damage are applied to the shared account and all roommates are ultimately responsible for cost.

If a roommate wants to move out, all members of the lease will need to sign an agreement stating that they are no longer responsible. If there are ever changes in roommates, residents must inform the leasing office to ensure CHNW’s records match who is living in the apartment. Allowing someone to live in an apartment without being on the lease is a violation of the terms of the lease. CHNW recommends choosing roommates wisely and setting up a roommate agreement at move-in establishing expectations.

Move Out

I want to move out at the end of my lease. Is a 30-day notice required?

Yes, a 30-day written notice to the leasing office is required of all residents if they plan to move at the end of their lease. Residents who do not submit a notice to vacate 30 days in advance will be charged for the 30-day period after the notice is submitted. Residents can complete a Notice to Vacate form in the leasing office or electronically by request.


What if I need to move before the end of my lease?

CHNW charges a lease break fee equal to 1.5X the amount of rent or charging through the end of the lease, whichever option is less. A 30-day notice is not required if the lease is being broken. Please contact the CHNW Leasing Office as soon as possible if you know you need to move out before your lease ends.


What will I be charged at move out?

In all cases, a carpet cleaning charge of $50-$65 will be deducted from the security deposit. Other damages and cleaning costs outside of normal wear and tear will be subtracted from the deposit based on the condition of the apartment after vacating. Information about move out charges and expectations of the condition of the apartment can be found here: Move Out Information


How soon will I get my security deposit back?

Deposits are refunded 31 days after you move out in the form of a check and mailed to the forwarding address provided by the resident.


I have roommates. Who gets sent the deposit check?

Unless otherwise indicated, the deposit refund check will be issued to all the names on the rental agreement, which requires everyone on the lease to go to the bank together to cash it. If you are moving out and prefer the check be made out to only one resident on the lease or a third party, please inform the leasing office in writing or fill out the waiver on the back of the Notice to Vacate form.


Where can I donate items I no longer want?

CHNW encourages residents to donate furniture and other items they do not need whenever possible. Some donation services will even pick up from your apartment. Some local organizations that coordinate donations can be found here: Unwanted Goods Donation Suggestions Brochure


Why is my rental history with CHNW important?

Payment history, violations issued, and damages noted at move-out are all documented in a resident’s rental history with CHNW. When a resident moves on, prospective future landlords and property managers will reach out to CHNW to obtain information about their tenancy. A negative rental reference can impact resident’s abilities to rent elsewhere. In addition, a formal eviction or FED filing appears on credit reports and can severely impact one’s ability to rent or obtain a loan for many years.

Rules / Policies

When are quiet hours?

Quiet hours are from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am Sunday through Thursday and from 11:00 pm to 8:00 am Friday and Saturday. Generally speaking, residents are expected to keep their noise level reasonable at all times. Excessive or unnecessary noise that impacts others in the community, even outside of quiet hours, can result in a formal noise disturbance violation notice for violating the terms of the lease.


Can I smoke in my apartment?

No smoking of any kind (including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, hookah, pipes, eCigarette, and marijuana) is allowed indoors or within 10 feet of the building. Please read the enclosed Smoking Policy Sheet for more information. If you wish to smoke, please do so outside at least 10 feet away from the building.

Student Services

Resident Council

CHNW was founded by students and is exclusively for students. As such, it is critical to have the voices of current tenants guiding the directions we take and decisions CHNW makes.

All CHNW programs have Resident Councils. Comprised of students representing the diversity of the communities they represent, Resident Councils meet monthly to discuss student needs and work with staff to continuously improve their communities.

Resident Council members take a leadership role in building community, improving living conditions, and organizing events at Goose Hollow. Members represent resident concerns and implement resident ideas, to create housing that is by students, for students.

Resident Council has a 10 month duration with 90 minute monthly meetings. While members are able to miss up to 2 meetings, participation is vital to its’ mission. Members may meet more than once a month for special event planning, meetings with CHNW staff, or other leadership opportunities.

Up to 12 members enjoy a $50 rent credit for their participation, plus a budget to plan fun events. Additionally, joining Resident Council helps residents sharpen their leadership skills and boost their resume.



We request that packages delivered through USPS, UPS, FedEx and other delivery services to first come to your door – if you are not home to receive them, the packages are brought to the Leasing Office and held for you. You will receive an email notification when a package arrives for you. Packages can only be picked up during times the Office is open. Make sure to have your ID handy when you arrive to pick up the package.


On Call Service/After Hours Line

During the hours the Leasing Office is closed, an after hours line is staffed by an on call resident ambassador.  Residents can place a call to our after hours line for emergencies such as lockouts, noise and smoking complaints, maintenance issues, and other related concerns.

CHNW Employment

Employment Opportunities

College Housing Northwest is proud to be committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce that drives innovation and opens access to various perspectives, ideas and backgrounds. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, College Housing Northwest provides equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic background, or any characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws.

We offer full time and part time employment in our Portland and Corvallis properties. Learn more about our current job openings here:

Scroll To Top